Trusteeship UN Council Chamber, 1965. Visit the UN Photo Gallery for more photos.
Designed by Swiss-French architect Le Corbusier and Brazilian architect Oscar Neimeyer, the UN headquarters was completed in 1952 and remained mostly untouched until four years ago. That’s when it was announced that the complex would be fully renovated by 2014. The changes include improvements to safety and functionality, as well as energy-saving measures to make the decades-old world headquarters LEED-certified. The renovation includes a significant facelift to the Trusteeship UN Council Chamber, originally designed by Danish architect Finn Juhl. At the age of 38, Juhl experimented with furniture, color schemes, carpeting and wall coverings to create a “total interior plan” for the Chamber, where the whole space and its details work and play together.
Preserving what Juhl created was paramount to the Danish Arts Foundation, so in December 2010 it held a design competition, inviting five of Denmark’s leading furniture designers to create new chairs and tables for the Chamber, all of which had to be in keeping with Danish tradition and the legacy of Finn Juhl yet mindful of modern materials. The Danish Ministries of Foreign Affairs and Culture, in cooperation with Danish Realdania Foundation, provided the necessary funding for the UN Council Chamber renovations.